Friday, May 10, 2013

So Much More Than a Diagnosis


Authors Note: This is a reflective piece on the most significant part of my life. It is a glimpse into the emotions and lessons that came with having my son prematurely and with a life threatening heart defect. To complicate the situation even more all this was happening while my husband was deployed to Iraq as a US Marine. The experience was incredibly life changing. I hope all who read it, be it someone also facing the daunting task of having a child with special needs or just someone looking for a glimpse into this amazing journey, enjoy it. 


So Much More Than a Diagnosis


I pull in the driveway of my sister in-laws, house and take a deep breath wiping away the tears that streak my face. All I have to do is get through the phone call that only an hour before had me excited and happier than I could ever remember feeling, but now just made me feel unbelievable sadness. It is the call where I get to tell my deployed husband whether our first child will be a boy or girl. The phone rings, and I know who it is without even looking. I take another deep breath, plaster a smile on my face, and answer the call. "It's a boy! And I don't want you to worry or anything, because it's probably nothing, but they want me to go in for another ultrasound to take a closer look at his heart." I didn't know it then but my life both ended and began with that simple phone call.

My husband and I continued to talk excitedly about his hopes and dreams for what we now knew would be a beautiful baby boy. A little boy, exactly what he had secretly been hoping for he tells me. A son he could play catch with, teach to hunt and fish and especially teach about Alabama football! Although a daughter would have also brought him great joy he admitted that he always pictured his first being a boy.  The line crackled and an automated voice came on telling us we only had a minute left to talk. A minute left to say I love you, for me to tell him how much I missed him and to tell him to be safe. Only a minute more, I had to keep myself from falling apart, keep my voice joyous and upbeat. The minute passes and the line goes dead.

As the call ends, I slowly sink to the floor. Deep chest heaving sobs wrack my body. There is something deathly wrong with my baby! In that moment of pure devastation I had never felt more scared and alone in my life. How could this be happening to me, and even worse to my baby? How could my baby boy's heart be broken? How was I going to tell my husband in that next phone call that the boy he was so excited about just days before may not even live, and if he did would have to fight for his life from the moment he is born?

From the moment I received the devastating news about my expectant son’s heart my life quickly became a whirlwind of appointments and questions. Did I want a test done to check for genetic issues that are associated with heart defects?  Did my husband and I want to consider terminating the pregnancy because of the medical complications? Where and when would I move to a location that could support my son’s medical complexities? I thought I would be the one that would need answers from the doctors but instead I was peppered with questions from the people I trusted my care too, making me feel like I had somehow caused this horror to happen. Did I smoke or drink while pregnant? Did I take any drugs, prescribed or not. Did I eat raw fish? Did I take my prenatal vitamins like I was supposed to? 

Being my first child I thought I had done everything right. I read all the books on what to do and not do while pregnant. I followed all the rules, and yet I still felt that somehow my body had failed, that I as a woman had failed my child. I somehow botched the very first test when it came to motherhood, producing a healthy child. I felt a slew of emotions from intense sadness, and guilt, to burning anger. I had friends that smoked while pregnant or ate and drank without a care in the world, and still managed to have healthy perfect children.    

Decisions were quickly made to leave my in-laws and move home to California where there were doctors and hospitals available to care for my son and I, before and after pregnancy.  Even with the comforts of home, the assurance that my son would receive the proper care he required, and information and statistics pouring in from all sides I still felt incredibly alone. The words of encouragement and comfort meant next to nothing. The “everything will be ok” I received from family and friends just hurt because even though they meant well they didn’t know it would be ok. To top off my pity party the one person that I felt could honestly make me feel better was deployed thousands of miles away and in danger of his own. He couldn’t be there for me, because it was my responsibility as a Marine wife to be there for him.   

12 weeks later and six weeks too early my son came into the world by emergency C-section. He was completely blue, non-responsive and had to be resuscitated immediately after being pulled from the womb. It was 12 whole hours before I was allowed to see him, and it would have been longer had I not put up a fight the second they woke me up. Being wheeled into the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit filled with tiny babies, and not knowing which one was mine had to be one of the worst experiences I ever had as a new mother. They stopped me beside a tiny little thing that appeared to be more wires and tubes than baby. 

He was so tiny, his face hidden with the giant tube forced in his mouth, and down his windpipe keeping him alive. His immature eyes were covered by a mask leaving just the top of his head visible, the rest of his body was taken up with stickers attached to wires, measuring his heart rate, breathing rate, and temperature. There were tubes in place through what should have been his bellybutton that provided nutrition, another to easily access blood to check for infections, and to measure the oxygen content, making sure all levels stayed delicately balanced. He did not move as he was sedated to keep him comfortable. The only indication that he was even a baby boy were the blue colored restraints along his arms to keep him from pulling or tangling all the tubes and wires. Nothing could have prepared me for the devastating image I was presented with in place of how I pictured my newborn son should look. I was dropped into a world that didn’t make sense. Monitors beeping and humming with important information about my child that I struggled to understand. Surrounded by people, I felt entirely alone without my husband and other half, for support.  

I reached out but did not touch. My shaking hand hovered there wondering if there was any safe place to touch my tiny baby boy. One of the nurses, seeing my tears and lost expression, grabbed both of my hands, and gently placed one on the top of his head with one on his knees that were drawn up to his chest and said, “Here you can touch him like this, but don't rub or move your hands too much or it will over stimulate him.” It was an incredibly overwhelming experience to feel such complete happiness, love, fear, and sadness all in that single moment.  I could have stood there for hours just watching his tiny chest rise and fall, but the sharp pain of my recent surgery brought me back to reality, and all too soon I had to leave him there alone. 

Double outlet right ventricle Tetralogy of Fallot with pulmonary stenosis, was the final diagnosis my son received shortly after birth. Five completely separate defects within his heart working together to keep my son very sick, and fighting to live.  For a while his medical diagnosis became who he was and how he was described. Instead of being known as the baby with amazing blue eyes or cute curly hair, he was just the little boy with Tetralogy. Four years, thousands of tears, hundreds of doctor appointments, seven surgeries, and a fully corrected heart later I can't believe how far we have come from that first overwhelming day. I'm amazed at how much my son has accomplished not, with his diagnosis and prognosis, but in spite of it. He is so much more than a diagnosis, so much more than a child with special needs, so much more than I could have ever hoped for. 

I went on to have another completely healthy baby girl 20 months later, going a long way in healing the hurt and fear left from my son’s ordeal. The birth of a child, especially the birth of my first child, is enough to change anyone's life. But the birth of my medically complex child changed me so drastically that the person I had become was hardly recognizable by me, my family and even my closest friends. I look in the mirror now and see a woman that pulled herself together even when her entire world was falling down around her. I see a woman who has a deep sense of compassion and understanding for other parents just learning to navigate through the world of special needs. I see a woman with more patience and one who celebrates even the smallest accomplishments of her children, a woman that knows that every day truly is a gift. This woman may have worry lines and even a few gray hairs at only twenty four, but she wouldn't trade them for the world. Those rough edges mean she faced tragedy and grew from it, where she could have just as easily been broken by it.

I have watched my son fight to live, learn how to eat, walk and talk. Every day is still a constant struggle to gain weight and to catch up to his peers. He has been through more in his short life than my entire family combined, and yet you will never see him without a smile on his face. His broken heart that once caused so much pain, fear and sadness is now the most beautiful gift I have ever received and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The experiences he gave me helped me grow into a person I can be proud of. 

He taught me that a person can be so much more than a diagnosis, their label or even what the brightest minds expect.  Because of him I have grown from an everyday young military wife and stay at home mom, into a woman that is not scared to work her butt off for what she wants even if the going is slow and the doubts are high. I now understand that those baby steps that seem so small and insignificant at the time really do add up and before you know it the goal once thought impossible and so far out of reach has been met and even surpassed. His strength and determination has inspired me to go back to school and get that degree I never thought was possible while raising a family with such high demands. My experience with his special heart has pushed me into the career I am currently pursuing, of being a cardiac ultrasound technician. He gifted me the opportunity to be there the day a family finds out their baby’s heart is broken and the beautiful opportunity to tell them it’s going to be ok, that their precious baby is so much more than a diagnosis.   














4 comments:

  1. I love your story,,made me cry with literally every word..its like you were speaking for all of us TOF moms I had some of the same fears and experiences you had just described, and today I celebrate my son's 1st birthday with all the love I could possibly give someone. Thank you for being such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how this all feels like yesterday. I relate to every single word, as I'm sure all the other TOF moms do also. To others we might be the ''unlucky'' ones, but in reality, we are the luckiest ones there are to have them as our children. <3
    - Courtney CIcconi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I know that your doing as a mother, as a wife, as a student, as You has a strong impact on every life that is fortunate to cross yours.
    You are an inspiration for all of us. You show us that it's not only worth it, but necessary in the utmost degree to stand up for the things we believe in. You are a strong mother, you are a victor, you are a winner. I am so happy for your family that they have you, for you are a blessing for everyone of them.
    Thanks for Being. I wish your family and you all the best life has to offer. I know life has a lot of gifts to share. And those who give shall receive.
    Follow your purpose in life and bless this world with every breath you take. You are great beyond measure.
    I'm proud of your boy. I'm proud of your family. I'm proud of you.
    May your smiles shine the world into light.
    - Luk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have long felt a special connection with herbal medicine. First, it's natural, Charlie attended the same small college in Southern California - Claremont Men's College - although he dropped out of school to enroll in the Julliard School of Performing Arts in New York. York. Had he been to Claremont, he would have been senior the year I started there; I often thought that was the reason he was gone when he discovered that I had herpes. So, my life was lonely, all day, I could not stand the pain of the outbreak, and then Tasha introduced me to Dr. Itua who uses her herbal medicines to cure her two weeks of consumption. I place an order for him and he hands it to my post office, then I pick it up and use it for two weeks. All my wound is completely healed no more epidemic. I tell you honestly that this man is a great man, I trust him Herbal medicine so much that I share this to show my gratitude and also to let sick people know that there is hope with Dr. Itua. Herbal Phytotherapy.Dr Itua Contact Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. Whatsapp ... 2348149277967
    He cures.
    Herpes,
    Breast Cancer
    Brain Cancer
    CEREBRAL VASCULAR ACCIDENT.
    Hepatitis,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Tach Disease,Shingles,
    Lung Cancer
    H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
    HIV,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Cervical Cancer
    Colo-rectal Cancer
    Blood Cancer
    SYPHILIS.
    Diabetes
    Liver / Inflammatory kidney
    Epilepsy

    ReplyDelete